In this latest episode of “AMN Drivetime” with Babcox Media CEO Bill Babcox, we hear from Paul McCarthy, president and CEO of the Automotive Suppliers Association (AASA).
A well-known figure on the aftermarket stage, we get to know a little more about Paul’s career path, from helping his grandfather work on cars as a kid to now leading one of the aftermarket’s leading trade associations, and the interesting career choices in between.
In the interview, Bill and Paul discuss a range of topics from Paul’s natural affable speaking presence to his thoughts on EVs, Right to Repair, Biden-administration policies affecting the aftermarket and more.
When asked what the secret is to being such a natural and authentic public speaker, McCarthy’s response only illustrates what a passionate and humble industry servant he is. McCarthy shares that it’s easy to talk about something you care about.
“My great blessing is that I get to work on behalf of the industry. I get to work on behalf of all of you, and this is an industry I’m passionate about. It’s a role I take very seriously,” he said. “The downside of course, is that I have thousands of bosses. The upside is that I have real purpose in my work and your listeners are that purpose. And it’s very motivating for us to try as a team here at AASA to champion the aftermarket industry, to support the aftermarket supplier community. So, I know I’m very blessed to get to serve in this role.”
In this episode, Bill and Paul dive into:
- How Paul got his start in the automotive industry (00:48)
- What was Paul’s very unique first real, paying job? We’ll give you a hint … can you say, “a hoy matey!” (02:45)
- The secret to being a natural and authentic public speaker (04:08)
- The value of strong relationships in the aftermarket and the mentors he’s worked with (05:44)
- What’s on the horizon for AASA in 2022 and beyond (08:49)
- Paul’s thoughts on the current administration and what policies will impact AASA members (13:25)
- The “million-dollar question:
Paul’s take on EV’s and the aftermarket’s level of preparedness for them (16:00)
- Thoughts on Right to Repair (19:14)
- Impressions from the return to AAPEX in 2020 (22:34)
- One hobby Paul has that surprises his team members (24:52)
“AMN Drivetime” is sponsored by Litens.